A dental crown is a cap that’s shaped to look just like natural teeth. It is placed over a tooth to restore its size, shape, appearance, and strength. They are cemented in place and cover the entire visible portion of a tooth (anything that can be seen above the gum line). A number of different types are available, including:
- Metal Crowns – These usually contain high amounts of platinum, gold, or base-metal alloys like nickel-chromium or cobalt-chromium. They can stand up to the force of chewing and last a long time with little to no chipping or breaking.
- Stainless Steel Crowns – Stainless steel crowns are usually used for children’s teeth because they do not require multiple visits to apply. They are prefabricated and cost less than custom-made crowns.
- Porcelain and Metal Crowns – Some crowns are made of porcelain fused to metal. This type looks normal but may include a dark border where the metal can be seen just above the gum line. They are usually preferred for front or back teeth and long bridges.
- Resin Crowns – This type is less expensive, but is prone to fractures and will wear down quicker.
- Ceramic or Porcelain Crowns – Ceramic or porcelain crowns offer a more natural coloration and provide an effective alternative for people who have metal allergies.
7 Reasons You Need a Crown
Dental crowns may be necessary or recommended for a number of reasons, including:
- Cosmetic reasons to improve appearance only
- To conceal a dental implant
- To cover severely discolored or misshaped teeth
- Securing a dental bridge
- Restore a broken or worn-down tooth
- Protect a weakened or cracked tooth
- Cover and support a large filling
Only a professional can determine if you need a crown. Contact Goldstein Dental Group in Novi, Michigan to schedule an appointment.