Our smile can have a powerful impact on our self-esteem. Many people are embarrassed by cosmetic dental problems and related odors. Conditions like gum disease can affect how your mouth looks and smells. What can you do to help keep your smile beautiful and your breath fresh?
- Brush Every Day– Brush your teeth at least twice every day with a fluoridated toothpaste. Ideally, you should brush after every meal if possible. It removes bacteria and debris and helps prevent bad breath. You can also use a tongue scraper to remove extra particles.
- Limit Your Intake of Acidic Beverages – Acidic beverages like fruit juice and soda can soften tooth material. These liquids dissolve minerals in tooth enamel which can lead to cavities. Enjoy this type of beverage in moderation or, if possible, avoid them altogether.
- Avoid Sugary Foods – The bacteria found in dental plaque can change sugar into acid. Acid can wear down tooth enamel. If you eat a sugary food, try following up by chewing a sugarless gum or eating a fibrous vegetable or fruit. Doing so stimulates saliva production which helps bathe your teeth in minerals.
- Wear Protection When Playing Sports – Wear helmets or other gear to protect your mouth and the area around it. This should be done when playing sports or engaging in any activity that has a higher risk of injury.
- Keep Up with Regular Dental Exams – Regular dental exams are necessary to monitor your ongoing oral health. Your dentist can watch for signs of trouble and make recommendations to lower your risk of gum disease and other conditions.
Keep your smile beautiful for years with the help of a professional. Contact Goldstein Dental Group in Novi, Michigan today to schedule an appointment for a consultation or cleaning.