Guided implant surgery presents patients with a better, more precise way of replacing their missing or damaged teeth. Dentists can use modern technology to plan the procedure in greater detail and with less of an impact on the patient.
How Does Guided Implant Surgery Work?
In the past, dentists would use panoramic x-rays to plan implant surgery. Today, they can use virtual models and 3D printing to guide the process. Digital images of the patient’s mouth are captured to build a virtual model. This is used to produce a 3D-printed surgical guide.
The surgical guide or template is shaped much like an orthodontic splint. It fits inside the patient’s mouth and is customized based on their implant needs. Small metal sleeves are inserted to help guide the drill and ensure proper implant position.
What Are the Benefits of Guided Implant Surgery?
Many benefits come with guided implant surgery, including:
- A procedure that is overall more accurate and precise
- No need to remove gum tissue or create a gum flap to determine placement
- 3D imaging is completely safe and effective
- Surgery takes less time and requires less guesswork
- Digital images provide more oral health information for the patient
- May allow for same-day implants
Is Guided Implant Surgery Right for Me?
If you need implants, guided surgery might be your best option. Contact our offices today to schedule a consultation and find out if this new procedure is right for you.